Applications enable you to create, work, communicate. Icinga is your reliable, ready for more monitoring solution to keep your apps up and running.
Basic Application Monitoring
Even though applications differ from each other depending on their purpose, there are some common metrics that Icinga monitors for almost any application. Monitoring the basics, sets a foundation and gives you an idea about the availability and state of your application already, before moving forward with a more detailed monitoring.
- Monitor the state and amount of running processes
- Monitor the availability of the application via APIs
- Monitor the response time via APIs
- Search for patterns in log files automatically
Web Application Monitoring
Icinga monitors web applications served by Apache, NGINX, IIS or any other web server. For web applications, the response type and time are some major metrics that you can monitor with Icinga. Plus, Icinga can
- Search for patterns and evaluate for the correct content
- Check for correct HTTP headers
- Monitor multiple virtual hosts (vHosts)
- Get alerts for expiring SSL certificates
- Use the health APIs of your application
Additionally, Icinga can simulate an end user by interacting with the web application to submit forms, open pages, place orders and more. Make sure your web application is always functional.
Applications running in containers come with special requirements for monitoring. Typically, container-based applications are split into microservices, where each service serves only one part of the overall application. Icinga monitors the state of containers and images and alerts you when it identifies problems.
- Monitor the availability and state of container platforms like Docker, Containerd, Rancher and more
- Collect detailed metrics by leveraging the API of the container platform
- Monitor the availability of container images
- Monitor the availability of container volumes
- Monitor the state of containers
Monitor Java Application Server
Icinga leverages the Java Management Extensions (JMX) to monitor various metrics of Java Applications. Most Java Application Servers, such as JBoss, Tomcat, Weblogic, Jetty, Websphere and others come with built-in JMX support.
- Monitor CPU, Memory, HeapMemory Usage and other metrics
- Selective MBean monitoring
- Monitor the state and number of Java processes
- Automatically search for patterns in Java log files
Whether it’s REST, SOAP, RPC or a different type of API, many applications come with interfaces that provide internal data about the program. Icinga connects directly to the application’s API and collects the data to monitor the internal metrics and raise alerts.
- Connect to many different types of APIs (REST, CRUD, SOAP, RPC, …)
- Use different protocols to handle the connection (HTTP(S), TCP, UDP, …)
- Leverage the data provided by the application for monitoring and alerts
Get Started with Icinga
Get going with your full-stack enterprise-ready monitoring solution. Follow the installation course for a stressless start with Icinga.