These are the instructions for manual Director installations. You can learn more about how to automate this in the automation section of this documentation. In case you already installed Director and want to upgrade to the latest version, please read on here.
- Icinga 2 (>= 2.6.0)
- It is recommended to use the latest feature release of Icinga 2
- All versions since 2.4.3 should also work fine, but we do no longer test and support them.
- Some features require newer Icinga 2 releases
- Flapping requires 2.8 for the thresholds to work - and at least 2.7 on all nodes
- Icinga Web 2 (>= 2.4.1). All versions since 2.2 should also work fine, but might show smaller UI bugs and are not actively tested
- A database, MySQL (>= 5.1) or PostgreSQL (>= 9.1). MariaDB and other MySQL forks are also fine. Mentioned versions are the required minimum, for MySQL we suggest using at least 5.5.3, for PostgreSQL 9.4.
- PHP (>= 5.4). For best performance please consider use 7.x
Create an empty Icinga Director database¶
HINT: You should replace
some-password with a secure custom password.
MySQL (or MariaDB)¶
mysql -e "CREATE DATABASE director CHARACTER SET 'utf8'; GRANT ALL ON director.* TO director@localhost IDENTIFIED BY 'some-password';"
In case your MySQL root user is password-protected, please add
-p to this
psql -q -c "CREATE DATABASE director WITH ENCODING 'UTF8';" psql director -q -c "CREATE USER director WITH PASSWORD 'some-password'; GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON DATABASE director TO director; CREATE EXTENSION pgcrypto;"
Hint: pgcrypto helps to boost performance, but is currently optional. In case you do not have it available on your platform and/or do not know how to solve this just leave away the ‘CREATE EXTENSION’ part.
The following steps should guide you through the web-based Kickstart wizard. In case you prefer automated configuration, you should check the dedicated documentation section.
Create a Database resource¶
In your web frontend please go to
Configuration / Application / Resources
and create a new database resource pointing to your newly created database.
Please make sure that you choose
utf8 as an encoding.
Install the Director module¶
As with any Icinga Web 2 module, installation is pretty straight-forward. In
case you’re installing it from source all you have to do is to drop the director
module in one of your module paths. You can examine (and set) the module path(s)
Configuration / Application. In a typical environment you’ll probably drop the
/usr/share/icingaweb2/modules/director. Please note that the directory
name MUST be
director and not
icingaweb2-module-director or anything else.
Run the graphical kickstart wizard¶
Now go to your web frontend, Configuration, Modules, director - and enable the module. Choose either Director directly from the menu or got to the Configuration tab. Either way you’ll reach the kickstart wizards. Follow the instructions and you’re all done!