Icinga and the fork happened not that long ago but during this period of time a lot of nice things happened.
Providing Icinga Core with integrated IDOUtils supporting MySQL/Postgres/Oracle, fresh docbook format and therefore enhanced documentation, a completely new Icinga API based on IDOUtils and providing data for the new upcoming Icinga Web. Also lots of other improvements and enhancements.
Writing a historical overview would get boring soon. So we decided to catch up on another Idea: gource.
It’s a small program fetching all commits within our git repositories (core, doc, api, web) and presenting the timeline and changes using rendered pictures.
But that’s not all, it is possible to convert that to nice looking movies.
But there is so much to tell…
Not this time!
Just relax and watch 🙂
December 16 2009: Today the Icinga Team releases the Icinga Core 1.0. This is a milestone for both the team and the project as a whole. After many months of hard work we are proud to bring you a stable, alternative monitoring solution. This release includes many changes as suggested by the community and in particular the inclusion of Oracle in IDOUtils.
With just as many new improvements, Icinga Web UI has hit release 0.9.1 alpha. We have added a makefile for easier installation and fixed installation permission and cache problems. More changes are still to come, including an ExtJS update to 3.0.3. See below for the full list of new developments across Icinga Core, API, Docs and Web.
As we are always eager to keep the momentum going, we have decided to release the stable Icinga Core alongside the Icinga Web 0.9.1 alpha. These two will converge again in the coming months to a uniform release status. Till then, we hope you like the latest improvements.
- Improved IDOUtils with Oracle
Added prepared statements for most called queries
Split code into ocilib OR libdbi, to allow oracle to decide which rdbm lib will be used during configuration
- idoutils: fixed duplicate rows in table system commands, timed events, timed event queue (missing unique keys)
- idoutils: added upgrade path/sql queries for unique key failure – check docs for more information
- idoutils: changed default data_processing_options in idomod.cfg
- idoutils: fixed this version and perl path generation in db install scripts
- idoutils: fixed save custom variables segfault
- Updates and fixes for quickstart guides
- New section on upgrading Icinga & IDOUtils
- Revised section for Icinga Web
- Restructured DB access for upcoming RDBM support
- Made several fixes for table prefix, exception handling
- Started a ‘how-to’ guide for upcoming documentation
- Added makefile for easier installation
- Fixed installation permission and cache problems
- Modified .htaccess
- Removed yui
- Removed php notice warnings (isset, undef vars)
- In the process of changing API result keys to uppercase
- In the process of updating ExtJS to 3.0.3
- Introducing commands through the web
Should you find any issues, please report them to the following links:
As always we look forward to your feedback, so feel free to drop us a comment.
Since we decided to give you the opportunity to test the new IDOUtils with re-engineered code for more RDBMs and Postgres support too we were aware of the fact that there would have been bugfixes to apply 😉
There were several issues to fix, not only Postgres but also typos and rewritten queries. We also added some improvements to the code, to mention configure support for manual libdbi detection and also the new version handling for IDOUtils. It’s now the same als Icinga Core, the old fashioned 1.4b8 has been dropped since we implemented a lot of new stuff to the original code.
Following the Changelog what’s been done so far:
- idoutils: fix failure_prediction_options in tables hosts, services for postgres
- idoutils: add configure support for manual libdbi detection
- idoutils: fix typo laste_state (wrong column)
- idoutils: fix buffer freeing with NAGIOS_SIZEOF_ARRAY
- idoutils: delete old mysql files coming from ndoutils
- idoutils: add new version handling, idomod/ido2db now shows version of Icinga core
- idoutils: rename existing mysql/pgsql files, added upgrade/fix files
- idoutils: fix wrong typecast in servicestatusdata_add, no more segfault while query preparing
- idoutils: add experimental db trimming interval option in ido2db.cfg
- core: fix wrong copyright url for Ethan
- docu: fix quickinstall guides
Those changes and improvements to the code are worth a new release!
Thanks for testing and reporting bugs and improvements to our mailinglists, dev tracker and here in the blog! =)
PS: Concerning Oracle, I’ve started preparing the code in another branch (edit Makefile for ocilib, rewrite db connection, add parameter bindings for queries and so on). I hope this will be done within the next few weeks and maybe we’ll catch up with another Icinga release before 1.0 alpha 🙂
We heard the call and we answered: Icinga is out with PostgreSQL support with working queries, sequences and all. Good news for users who have been looking for a Nagios based open source monitoring system which has database flexibility for not just MySQL but also Postgres. A big hand to Michael and Hendrik!
Applause should also go to Lara and Wolfgang for their hard work on the Icinga documentation, as we also have the first edition out in Docbook format.
A big release before the first Alpha in October, we hope you like it and share your thoughts with us. This version’s proof that your ideas count.